Katie has always felt connected with her Irish heritage and a little over a year ago found out she was 50% Irish through Ancestry.com DNA test. This year I also had my DNA test done. I was always under the impression that I was predominately Italian from my dads side and British from my mothers side however, I was very surprised to see that I was 23% Irish and 21% Italian and the rest is a hodgepodge of European.
Recently I decided to revisit an old post from our very first year of starting DAM Good Food and revamp my corned beef and cabbage in a Crock pot.
3lbs Corned Beef
Seasoning packet (normally comes with store bought corned beef, if not pickling spices can also work.)
4 carrots (cut into 2 inch pieces)
5 small red potatoes
1 small white onion
1 head of cabbage
- Remove the corned beef from the package and rinse it off completely and get all the juices off before cooking it and set aside.
- Clean and cut all veggies before placing them into the crock pot, do not put in the cabbage yet. Place corned beef on top of the veggies and add spices and enough water to just cover the meat.
- Set crock pot to low and cook for 9-10 hours (4-5 hours on high), internal temp of cooked corned beef is 158-175 degrees Fahrenheit.
- At the 8 1/2 hour mark on low setting (3 1/2 hour mark on high setting) cut and clean the cabbage and place on top of the corned beef and cook the remaining hour.
- At the 9 or 4 hour mark check the internal temperature of the corned beef. If it is between 158-175 degrees remove the beef and cover and let rest ( I love to put it in the off oven or microwave to keep warm). Continue to cook veggies till tender.