Another recipe from The Easy Kitchen! Wicked Mac & Cheese was the cheesy goodness that was missing from my life! Now I will say that this recipe was very sweet due to the mascarpone cheese ingredient but an addition of salt helped balance out the dish. Next time around Katie and I may add a little less mascarpone and season the dish throughout the cooking process and not at the end like we did the other night.
- 60 g./ 1/2 cup fresh, chunky breadcrumbs (GF- Udi’s Bread)
- 1 tbl sp olive oil
- 2 tbl sp butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3 tbl sp plain/ all-purpose flour (GF – Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
- 500 ml/ 2 cups milk
- 125 ml/ 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 60 g/ 1/2 cup mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 60 g/ 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 350 g/ 12 oz macaroni noodles or other tube pasta, such as rigatoni (GF – Penne Barilla)
Preheat the over to 200°C (400°F).
Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and season. Bake for 6 minutes, remove and set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and mustard and sauté for 1 minute before adding the flour. Whisk constantly over medium heat until it forms a paste. Gradually whisk in the milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil, whisking constantly. Turn the heat down to low and add the mascarpone, cheddar and half of the parmesan.
Boil the pasta in salted water until just al dente, drain and mix with the cheese sauce. Season and spoon the mixture into a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and the remaining parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.